Friday, November 23, 2007

PowerShell DSLs

I've written before about my attraction to Domain-Specific Languages and my curiosity about using PowerShell to handle them, but I only recently got any time to think about it more. I'm working on a DSL implementation for defining "data classes" with certain properties in C# (see http://blogs.gotdotnet.com/ericlippert/archive/2007/11/13/immutability-in-c-part-one-kinds-of-immutability.aspx#comments for an example).

I have only 3 examples of PowerShell DSLs to work from, and I don't see any guidance in this area, so I figured I'd write about what I find.

Table of Contents

  1. Prior art
  2. Why PowerShell?
  3. Custom invocation w/ a library
  4. DSL tool invocation
  5. Hash table input
  6. Script block input
  7. Using hashtables and scriptblocks together

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.