Sunday, June 26, 2005

Rawcotta

We have way more raw milk than we are using, so I'm looking for other interesting things to do with it.

Yesterday I tried curdling it with vinegar. Warm it up, pour in vinegar, wait a few minutes for it to curdle, strain. The result was like ricotta, but really, really yummy. The whole process took about 20 minutes. I can tell I'm going to do this again.

The only raw milk cheese you can buy in the US is aged 60 days. No soft, raw cheese for you! Unless you make it yourself...

If I'm careful not to overheat the milk, the active cultures remain, so it's even better for you.

I call it "rawcotta".

2 comments:

Andrew said...

hi Jay, cool blog.

I'd be interested to know how warm you get the milk for this. guessing from your statement about the active cultures, it mustn't be much more than 100F or so...

thanks,

Andrew

Jay Bazuzi said...

Yeah, 100 degF seems about right. It was 3.5 years ago, though, so I don't remember. I now know that it wasn't really ricotta, but it was good.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.