Sunday, November 28, 2004

Technology & community

Bonds of individuals, families, and community require work. Technology gives us the opportunity to live without doing this work, thereby missing out on these bonds.

When I say "technology" I don't just mean computers. For example, the telephone enables us to coordinate with each other from a distance, so we don't need to live as close together. Same with the car. We are able to live in isolation, wthout the complications of human contact.

I like girls. A lot. So I managed to date & get married, despite my technology habit.

But for most of my life I have avoided forming deep bonds in community. In fact, I don't think I know how to do that, or even to figure out what a community is. But I'd like to figure it out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jay,

let me know how you fare in figuring it out. I'm glad you're not criticizing people/tech/stuff on your blog - a couple of jokes wouldn't hurt.

----kal.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.