Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Bobcat sail #7

It was a pretty day so we took the boat out again.

I'd like to find ways to make the whole process faster. Right now it looks like this:


  1. Hook trailer up to the van
  2. Back it up the driveway to the garage
  3. Remove cover & stow
  4. Load and secure spars
  5. Load, test, and secure battery
  6. Load life vests
  7. Ensure all lines are in order

I know that sounds simple, but yesterday I was doing it with a couple 2-year-olds underfoot, so it took 1/2 an hour. Then of course there's the non-boat prep: sunscreen, clothing, water, food, etc.


  1. Hang launch pass on rear view mirror
  2. Remove spar supports
  3. Remove trailer lights & wire
  4. Place sail hoops over mast partner
  5. Climb up on boat, lift mast up & step it
  6. Stow spar supports in van
  7. Place spar/sail bundle in place
  8. Tie boom and gaff parells; hank sail on to hoops
  9. Reeve sheet through 3 blocks, fasten to boom
  10. Remove all but 2 sail ties
  11. Untangle the 4 lines that run aloft (would be 5, but I don't have a flag halyard yet)
  12. For each of peak halyard, throat halyard, and topping lift:
    1. Untie the ends
    2. Reeve one end through deck block & tie stopper knot
    3. Tie other end to the appropriate part of the gaff

  13. Pass lazyjacks through boom, tie off
  14. Mount motor
  15. Attach motor leads to battery; test it
  16. Mount rudder on stern
  17. Mount tiller on rudder
  18. Set out fenders
  19. Uncoil dock lines; ensure they run fair
  20. Remove strap that holds boat on trailer

That seems to take me about 35 minutes solo. When I did it with Jack's help, it was much, much, faster. At this point, I drive around to get in line for the boat launch.

Yesterday there was only one person ahead of me in line, but he was solo and very, very slow. The tide was almost exactly at mean low low. That made the launch ramp quite long. He backed his truck down, then walked all the way up the ramp & down the dock. Then led the boat to the trailer, then walked all the way up & back down, etc. I'm not complaining, though - gotta have patience at the boat launch.


  1. Back down ranch (a long way this time, but I did it pretty smoothly)
  2. Pass dock lines to Reid on dock
  3. Cast off bow hook
  4. Push boat back
  5. Drive away & park
  6. Walk back to boat
  7. Don PFDs
  8. Lower motor; test it
  9. Cast off
  10. Let Reid motor out of the marina
  11. Raise fenders

Of course, we're not sailing yet.


  1. Turn in to the wind
  2. Cast off sail ties
  3. Haul both halyards
  4. Turn off & raise motor
  5. Go!

There, that's the list. I wonder what I missed? I'll edit this blog post later, and probably carry a printout as a checklist.

On this trip, we took the same path as the third trip. If you look closely on the satellite map, you can see the old railroad spur that would carry train cars out over the water to interface with boats. A big section of that trestle was removed, but the piles are all there, cut off right below the mean low low water level. By putting the centerboard up, and the motor part-way down, we were able to thread our way between them, but just barely.

On the beach, there was no where to tie up, because the water was so far out. So we just held the painter for the 10 minutes that we were there.

In the background in this picture you can see a bald eagle perched up high. We also saw a raccoon swim the stretch between the rock wall on the left and the railroad structure on the right. I didn't know raccoon could swim, but I guess I'm not surprised.

Reid wanted to stay ashore, so I took Zephyr in the boat on the way back. I didn't want to deal with the under-water piles again, so instead we sailed the narrow, shallow, but sandy-bottomed gap that you can see behind the boat.

It was a quick run back, but Zephyr got annoyed with me for tacking back and forth, instead of going in the right direction, heh.

I sailed the whole way back through the channel and up the dock. It helps that I'm getting to know the tacking quirks better. It also helped that the wind was coming from a favorable direction, from one side of the channel instead of straight down it.

After hauling the boat out of the water, I wash the trailer down thoroughly, undo all the rigging work that I listed above, and go home. At home, there's more to be done to put the boat to bed. Last night I skipped it, because I think today I'll go sailing again. And maybe tomorrow, too!

EDIT: Fixed photograph to link to a big version.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.