In a continuation of yesterday's power adventures, today I did a some more outlets.
I made the 2-prong outlet properly grounded, as I mentioned.
I replaced 2 switches. The new ones are higher quality, so I'm feeling good about that, too.
I went to do the last outlet, and ran in to trouble. When I went to screw in the new outlet, I couldn't get one of the screws to take. The box was plastic, and the screw hole had stripped. Also, while working on it, I had cracked the box on the side, which didn't seem like a good thing.
I wanted to replace it, but it was securely fastened to a stud (good!). Actually, it was rivetted to a metal bracket which was nailed to a stud. I was able to get behind a wall in another part of the house to get an idea of what I was dealing with.
I basically demolished the box with random tools, pulling out the peices as I went. Then I used a prybar to pull the nails out, which was a HUGE PAIN IN THE ASS.
Once that was done, and my ass had recovered, I installed the new box, new outlet, etc. All good. I also stopped to praise my choice to buy some extra gang boxes yesterday.
Other interesting notes from the experience:
- 2 of the walls in the kithen had wallpaper, which was painted over. Bad. Some of it tore while I worked, and now there's a white blemish next to a light switch. Need to touch that up.
- While working on the plug that I didn't get along with, my 4-year-old flipped some breakers. Scary.
- I actually did manage to give myself a little jolt. It wasn't fun, but it wasn't exactly painful.
Time to pause being an electrician. Tomorrow I go back to moonlighting as a software developer.