Monday, December 26, 2005

The growing family

A bit of news for my readers: our family is growing. New baby coming, and all that. Should be arriving in a month or so.

As part of this, I've been trying to figure out some logistics.

For example, we have one car, and like it that way. Can we fit 4 of in a Saturn SL2? I like taking the bus to work. I'm slightly more likely to walk or bicycle places, and I certainly could use the exercise. When my son & I ride the bus to a museum or something, the bus ride is part of the adventure. I never have to pay for parking in the city. I'm reducing my contribution to traffic, fossil fuel consumption, noise, and air polution. I don't have the stress of negotiating rush-hour. I can read on the bus.

Living in suburbs makes the no-car thing a bit harder. There are fewer busses that pass my home. Everything is a little further away, as you have to walk past homes with yards & cross wide streets to get to it.

We just got some news this past week. We're having twins. I'm still feeling a little stunned. We'll be a family of 5! Suddenly I have to repeat all the logisitcal planning...

5 of us certainly won't fit in the car we have, if you remember that 2 of the passengers will be in rear-facing infant carseats for 18 months. In fact, there aren't a lot of cars that will fit all of us. We'll be trying out some station wagons, but it may be too tight. Could get a crown vic and own the road. :-) Otherwise, it's minivan time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Twins! Holy crap, Jay! How's Reid feel about it? Is he excited?

Well, station wagons I think will be the best way to go. Larger vehicles consume more gas, and have less manoeuvrability. This biggest problem with safety that larger vehicles have is that they aren't as able to avoid accidents, because they're just not as nimble.

But I think having a car will pretty much be a necessity at this point. With three kids, that's a lot of mouths to feed, and so you're going to have to be able to haul around large amounts of food. 'Know what I mean?

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.