Friday, January 07, 2005

Living simply in the kitchen

What's the minimum you need in the kitchen?


I have a microwave, a conventional oven, a stovetop, a Foreman Grill, a waffle maker, a toaster over, a coffee maker, a rice cooker, a slow cooker, and a bread maker. All except the microwave pushes electricity through coils to make heat to cook food.


If I were living on a small boat in the middle of the ocean, could I get by with a small oil-burning stove?


I have a blender, a food processor, a wisk, and a bunch of plastic & wooden spoons. (I don't have a mixer, but most people do.) Could I get by with just 1 spoon?


Knives seem to be a critical part of a kitchen. When cooking, I really enjoy the feel of a good knife. A sharp blade, heavy, well balanced, a gentle curve to the blade, and a wide edge on the non-cutting side (to push with my other hand). Could I get by with just 1 or 2, if I take really good care of them? I think I'd like to learn to make a knife myself...


I'd need a small and a large bowl, a skillet, a large pot, and a cutting board.


One thing I'm overwhelmed by today is those little plastic food storage containers. They have to be carefully nested to store and carefully matched with lids to seal. They stain with tomatoes, scratch with knives, and maybe leach nasty chemicals if microwaved.


200 years ago, waht did they do with leftovers?


1 comment:

Travis said...

200 years ago, they didn't keep leftovers. They ate as much as they could, when they could, because they didn't know where the next meal was coming from.

I have felt the same overwhelming feelings in my kitchen. About two months ago I got out a box and threw all of the "extra" utility things into it. Only once have I had to go back and retrieve something.

There is so much clutter in our lives. It's amazing how much less stressed I feel after I clean, sort and minimize.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.